truss problems

Jonas Wolz jonas.wolz at freenet.de
Mon Apr 10 09:45:36 UTC 2006

Hello,

while trying to get the gnash CVS version to work I noticed that on my system
(FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE) truss obviously has problems tracing firefox:
truss prints somewhat "random" error messages and traces only some of the
system calls firefox makes (opening a local file doesn't show up, for
example).

The output looks like that (I can provide the truss log if somebody is
interested):
jonas at nobby:/tmp$ truss -f -o ff.log firefox
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
truss: get_struct 0x0: Bad address
jonas at nobby:/tmp$ truss -f -o ff.log firefox
truss: Cannot malloc 1081891232 bytes for pollfd array: Cannot allocate memory
jonas at nobby:/tmp$ truss -f -o ff.log firefox
truss: cannot open /proc/0/mem: No such file or directory
truss: cannot open /proc/0/mem: No such file or directory
truss: Cannot malloc 1162889024 bytes for pollfd array: Cannot allocate memory
jonas at nobby:/tmp$ truss -f -o ff.log firefox
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
truss: PIOCCONT: Input/output error
truss: Cannot malloc 1162889024 bytes for pollfd array: Cannot allocate memory
jonas at nobby:/tmp$ truss -f -o ff.log firefox
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
truss: Cannot malloc 1162889024 bytes for pollfd array: Cannot allocate memory
jonas at nobby:/tmp$ truss -f -o ff.log firefox
truss: cannot open /proc/0/mem: No such file or directory
truss: Cannot malloc 1162889024 bytes for pollfd array: Cannot allocate memory
jonas at nobby:/tmp$ truss -f -o ff.log firefox
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
truss: PIOCCONT: Input/output error
truss: cannot open /proc/0/mem: No such file or directory
truss: Cannot malloc 1162889024 bytes for pollfd array: Cannot allocate memory
jonas at nobby:/tmp$ truss -f -o ff.log firefox
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
truss: get_struct 0x0: Bad address
jonas at nobby:/tmp$

A similar Problem also occurs with KDE applications, but only if the
application needs to start kdeinit (i.e. if other KDE applications are
already running there is no such problem):
jonas at nobby:/usr/sbin$ truss -f -o /tmp/ggg kedit
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
truss: PIOCCONT: Input/output error
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
truss: PIOCCONT: Input/output error
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
truss: PIOCCONT: Input/output error
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
truss: PIOCCONT: Input/output error
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
truss: PIOCCONT: Input/output error
truss: PIOCWAIT top of loop: Input/output error
kbuildsycoca running...
DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
jonas at nobby:/usr/sbin$

Other applications I tested (xedit, bash) seem to work fine.

Can someone else also reproduce this problem/is this a known bug or is just
something broken on my system?
If you need more details please let me know.

Jonas