resolver doesn't see resolv.conf changes

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sat Apr 8 20:53:19 UTC 2006

On Apr 8, 2006, at 1:39 AM, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:

> Good idea, but this defeates the hierarchical purpose of DNS. Now my
> caching DNS is always querying the root DNS servers.

That's how the DNS works.  You query the root once for the TLD, then
cache the NS records for the TLD's servers, point one level down, and
repeat until you find the target.

> And there might be ISPs who disallow outgoing DNS connections to
> somewhere else than their own DNS servers.

In my experience, these are few and far between.

> Additionally, when jacking into someone else's LAN, I usually want to
> use their local DNS servers, to resolve local names.

And sites running split-DNS are also rare.

But worry not: dhclient can deal with these, too.  A quick perusal of
dhclient.conf(5) turns up the "prepend" and "append" modifiers.
Choose whichever best implements your preferred policy.

The two scenarios you describe are rare enough that it's not worth
writing glue to fudge up forwarders entries in named.conf and the
associated headaches.  Or, you could port nscd over from Solaris.

--lyndon