resolver doesn't see resolv.conf changes

Hajimu UMEMOTO ume at freebsd.org
Fri Apr 7 16:10:57 UTC 2006

Hi,

>>>>> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 17:27:19 +0200
>>>>> Ulrich Spoerlein <spoerlein at googlemail.com> said:

spoerlein> Is the resolver supposed to periodically check for updates to the
spoerlein> resolv.conf, or are the applications somehow caching the IP of the DNS
spoerlein> server?

Traditionally, the resolver doesn't reread resolv.conf.  It is not
useful for especially mobile environment.  So, I wrote a patch to
reread resolv.conf in past.
Recently, I noticed that it could be implemented as a NSS plug-in, and
made it just today.  You can get it from:

	http://www.imasy.or.jp/FreeBSD/nss_resinit-20060408.tar.gz

I don't write any documentation, yet.  But, it should work by changing
`hosts' entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf to the following line:

	hosts: resinit files dns

It seems working on my 7-CURRENT box and 6-STABLE box.  However, it
should be tested more.

Sincerely,

ume at mahoroba.org  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/