Disappointed

Christopher Arnold chris at arnold.se
Thu Apr 6 17:48:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Alexey Karagodov wrote:
>> 2006/4/6, Chris H. <bsd at 1command.com>:
> [ ... ]
>>  and again. if *NIX developers can't answer user's question, they say "get
>> out" or "it's your problem" or "try something else" or "For that matter;
>> you're not required to use it at all". everytime one answer for multiple
>> question "WE ARE *NIX, WE ARE GODS. YOU, GO TRY SOMETHING ELSE"
>
> I'm pretty sure that none of the FreeBSD developers have been so much as
> beatified, much less appointed to a truly divine status.

The thing is this isnt a *NIX issue, but its visible in the *NIX world.

All big systems have their primadonnas that are highly competent in what
they do best. Digging deep into the internals and do wonders there. But
the diffrence between opensource projects and other large projects is that
the other large projects have tons of paid staff inbetween the primadonnas
and the end users.

In the opensource *NIX community we have direct access to the primadonnas.
For us that cant talk with them in their language and realize that they
want to keep focused on code and not support isssues this is a feature.

If you cant speak their language and/or get upset that they are not user
friendly you should go thru a middle man smoothing out the conversation.
There is a price to this thou. This price is absorbed in licencing costs
för other systems, in the free world you can choose who to pay to be your
middle man.

 	/Chris