Frustrating inability to boot amd64

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 00:09:52 UTC 2006

On 4/5/06, David Gilbert <dgilbert at dclg.ca> wrote:
> At this point, I've been through 4 AMD64 motherboards.  Commonly,
> AE_BAD_CHARACTER stops ACPI (or apic?) from figuring out the system
> --- this has happened on 3 out of four boards.  On this latest board,
> it can turn off APIC.  If I do that, FreeBSD hangs after detecting the
> disks.  The only "wrong" thing on the screen is
>
> module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (amr_linux, 0xffffffff805ebcc0, 0)
> error 6
>
> I have tested boot CDs for amd64 from 6.0-RELEASE, 6.1-BETA1 and
> 6.1-BETA4.  None have successfully booted on these boards.
>
> Strangely enough, i386 boots fine, APIC and all.
>
> Dave.

Whats the first thing anyone that might help you gonna need???

Motherboard details, chipset, memory, etc etc... :)

I have two different amd64 systems, both have run FreeBSD 6 RELEASE,
and one is running CURRENT, so its not the architecture in general thats
broken.

One last resort you might try, boot Failsafe, I've had that work when
just turning off ACPI doesnt.

Good luck,