Disappointed

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Apr 5 20:21:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:15:00PM +0200, Albert Shih wrote:
>  Le 05/04/2006 ? 16:07:27-0400, Kris Kennaway a ?crit
> > On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:03:41PM +0200, Albert Shih wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > I'm disappointed by the stablity of FreeBSD 6-stable (I known it's
> > > developpement branche).
> >
> > You forgot to provide pointers to your PRs.
>
> Well... I don't have make it because I can reproduce him. Last week I think
> this bug come when heavy load on network interface. Well I make very big
> read/write over nfs...and nothing...everthing work fine.
> Today It's not a ?big? day and the server crash (and I even can't log in
> console, need hard-reboot and big fsck).
>
> You think It's better I make a PR ? (and my english is very bad...)

As a general rule: unless you can explain your problem in sufficient
detail, preferably including either how to reproduce it, or at least
an exact description of what happens when it fails, it's unlikely that
anyone can help you.

As a first step: you say your server crashed.  Did it panic?  Do you
have debugging settings (INVARIANTS, WITNESS) enabled?  Do you have
DDB enabled?  Read through the chapter on kernel debugging in the
developers' handbook and reconfigure your kernel accordingly, then
proceed from there.

Kris