{Spam?} Re: problems with an SATA drive on nVidia3 controller

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Mon Apr 3 02:40:31 UTC 2006

> Hello!
>
> We have an amd64 machine with an nVidia3 SATA controller on motherboard.
>
> [...]
> ad6: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=249306496
> ad6: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=261467776
> ad6: WARNING - WRITE_DMA48 UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=273629312
> ad6: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA48 status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=10<NID_NOT_FOUND> LBA=273629312
>
> Is this controller working for others? We connected the disk to it in
> preference to the Silicon Image connectors, which are also present
> on-board, because SI has poor reputation  :-(
>
> Is this controller supposed to work? Thanks!
>
> 	-mi

Mikhail,

I've had a similar problem (or probably still have).

Someone answered to my post this might be a SATA-cable problem and
this seems to be true. As far as I'm aware of the ICRC error message
might be a hint to an interface problem.

The system(s) I was seeing this kind of problem are providing SATA
on board (VIA 6420).

Whenever the problem occurs, the drive isn't being seen by the OS
anymore until a reboot (atacontrol list doesn't show the failed
drive anymore) and SMART shows DMA error and ICRC error messages.

I really guess it's a cable problem. On the other side I've seen
this problem only on RELENG_6_0 systems (but this does not say it's
a FreeBSD problem).

AsRock (the mainboard manufacturer) also asked me to change the SATA
cable and they told me to change the disks jumper settings of the
failed drive to run on SATA150 (if it's a SATA300 disk).

Because my troubled box is remote, I've been unable to check those
both suggestions. Probably you may check that first if it solves
your problem.

Greetings,

Volker