Freebsd 6-RELEASE and the iwi-firmware

Yousef Raffah yraffah at savola.com
Sun Apr 2 07:49:47 UTC 2006

Sorry if this is not the right ML and please let me know if I need to
post it on another ML but it is related to FreeBSD 6-RELEASE and the
iwi-firmware

The moment I re-installed FreeBSD 6-RELEASE on my Toshiba Tecra A4
Laptop, I grabbed the iwi-firmware from the internet using a nearby
machine then installed the driver/firmware successfully and everything
seemed to be fine. Later one, I updated the system using portmanager -u
and that installed a new iwi-firmware I guess, because I had to agree to
the EULA and since then, when I load the firmware, it gives me
continuous messages in the console and dmesg about "unknown notification
type 15"

I noticed one more thing, with the old firmware, it was located
in /usr/local/share/iwi-firmware, but the new one is
under /boot/iwi-firmware, it took me a while to figure this out!

Any help is appreciated on how I can resolve this matter, is it possible
to revert back to the old driver? I don't want to upgrade my system to
an "unstable" release. I know FreeBSD is stable but 6.1 is not
officially for production use yet! Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sincerely,
Yousef Raffah
Senior Systems Administrator
SSIS - The Savola Group