new sk driver [was: nve timeout (and down) regression?]

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Sat Apr 1 19:15:54 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 20:37, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 March 2006 11:38, Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> > I can't really tell if the performance is impaired by mpsafenet=0,
> > because the box is mostly busy doing userland stuff. Typical traffic
> > looks like this:
> >

> > I'm going to test the new driver to see if I can disable mpsafenet. To be
> > specific on the NIC:
> >
> > skc0 at pci0:10:0: class=0x020000 card=0x811a1043 chip=0x432011ab rev=0x13
> > hdr=0x00
> >     vendor   = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
> >     device   = '88E8001/8003/8010 Gigabit Ethernet Controller with
> > Integrated PHY (copper)'
> >     class    = network
> >     subclass = ethernet
>
> yes, this is the Asus A8V, same here
>
> may be you consider to try Pyun's driver
>
>  > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/sk/sk_test/if_sk.c
>  > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/sk/sk_test/if_skreg.h
>
> and run yours without mpsafenet ?
>
> I have no clue what a game server requires. I tried anything even generic
> kernel and no sysctls/loader.conf values set in order to see if something
> else is wrong. Also I have lots of this machines and any of them same
> result.
>

> João

I have the system running for 3 days straight now with the new driver, however
the problem described earlier still exists. I still need to use mpsafenet=0.
Other than that, the driver seems fine. No timeouts whatsoever. I was
thinking, maybe it isn't the network driver but the linux compatibility layer
that has problems with SMP.

Pieter de Goeje