Advice sought on upgrading from 4.11-R to 5.4...

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Sep 28 06:06:06 PDT 2005

At 9:42 PM +0200 2005-09-21, Brad Knowles wrote:

>  	I've seen the migration guide at
>  <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/migration-guide.html>, and the
>  thread at
>
><http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-September/018151.html>,
>  but I was wondering about the specific sequence of the upgrade process.

	Okay, well I've completed this part of the processing, going from
4.11-R to releng_5_4, and everything seems to be okay.  I now need to
make a custom kernel and to do a portupgrade, but unless something
goes horribly wrong it would appear that this process was relatively
painless.

	However, it would be nice if mergemaster could be made to
automatically accept changes that occur only in the comments of the
files it is trying to merge.  That way, many fewer "fluff" changes
would be presented during the merge process, and people would be left
with needing to confirm changes regarding only actual functional code.

	Anyway, thanks again everyone!

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755