lpt0 always busy

stanley jobson stanley.jobson at gmx.ch
Sun Sep 25 06:35:01 PDT 2005

> > so it seems that fbsd expects some kind of status reply from the
> > printer - correct?
> >
> > if so: how could i by-pass this? (cause my ugly gdi printer is
> > probably not able to answer correctly) i just wonna have access to
> > my parallel port ...
>
> It expects that your printer will toggle the BUSY line as it should..
> I don't believe you'd be able to print on any OS if this was broken.

i have a separate box running win98. from this box i am able to use the
printer with the orig vendor driver without any problem ...

> Are you sure nothing else is using the port? (lpd, cups, etc)

i think so: lpd is not running and lsof | grep lpt doesnt show anything
either : (

so i guess there could be a prob with the ready/status checking
procedure

any other ideas? any idea how to by pass this check so other programs
(like qemu) could simple use the port?

maybe it s necessary to hack the lpt driver - but because i am not a
kernel hacker (maybe a good c hacker :)) - some help with this would be
really nice ...

thx
regards,
stan