HP DL140 and ata0-slave: FAILURE-ATA_IDENTIFY timed out.

J. T. Farmer jfarmer at goldsword.com
Fri Sep 23 14:05:09 PDT 2005

Scot Hetzel wrote:

>The ATA driver was changed in 5.x, and then again in 6-CURRENT.  If
>you want to run 5.x on that system, your going to need to install FBSD
>4.11 first, then do a source upgrade to 5.x.  But you'll also need to
>replace the 5.x ATAng driver with the 6.x ATA-Mk III driver.
>
>You'll need:
>The RELENG_5 Sources
>ATA MKiiin Sources & Patch files
>   - http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ATA/ata-mk3n-releng5.tar.gz
>   - http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ATA/ata-mk3n.diff-releng5.gz
>
>Then:
>- remove contents of /usr/src/sys/dev/ata/*
>- untar ata-mk3n-releng5.tar.gz in to /usr/src/
>- appy the ata-mk3n.diff-releng5.gz patch to /usr/src
>- do usual build[world/kernel]
>- do an installkernel, and reboot the system
>- if it works, then installworld, otherwise let Soren Schmidt
><sos at freebsd.org> know.

Hurray!  Finally!  I may be stupid, but I've been trying to figure out
how to install Soren's kit for a month or two, now. (Well not every
day for two months.  I've got other things that _must_be_done_.)
It's not a standard patch set.  And I didn't have a clue how to
approach the problem.   I mean,  handed a random set of tar files, and
figure out where they go?  for a supposedly stable system?

John