6-Release Beta 5: extremely slow installation in VMWare 4.52

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Sep 23 12:27:31 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-Sep-23 09:14:17 +0000, Christoph Sold wrote:
>Unfortunately, our corporate firewall blocks anything but http/port80,
>https/port443. Thus, neither CVS nor CVSup are an option. in addition, the
>install is still running after 24 hours. At this time, the full install churns
>slowly against ports/x11-themes.

You might like to consider CTM[1].  Whilst you'll need to get the original
starting delta via FTP, updates from then on can be e-mailed to you
(typically 3 per day for cvs-cur).

>One more hint: "calcru: runtime went backwards..." pops up once or twice for
>each file.

Lots of kernel printf messages won't be helping performance.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ctm.html

--
Peter Jeremy