wireless, ndis and my ovislink wl8000

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Sat Sep 17 23:11:51 PDT 2005

On Sunday 18 September 2005 11:19, Jayton Garnett wrote:
> I have managed to get my wifi card UP and associated with my router, but
> I can not work with it (i.e ping bbc.co.uk, view web pages etc)
> Gnome's network monitor reports 0% strength, yet I can access my routers

The signal strength stuff is probably not available via ndis, so ignore that.

> setup page but not any other webpage on the internet.
> When I go to view the wireless clients connected to my router it reports
> none are connected, yet I am viewing the setup pages!
> I disabled my realtek with:
> ifconfig rl0 down
> I do not have WEP enabled.
> Before Gnome started up I noticed something about another interface
> using the same IP as my ndis0 device.

What exactly?

> If you require any further details please ask.

Where is your default route going?

> desktop# ping bbc.co.uk
> PING bbc.co.uk (212.58.224.131): 56 data bytes
> ping: sendto: Network is down
> ping: sendto: Network is down
> ^C
> --- bbc.co.uk ping statistics ---
> 2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
> desktop#

I suggest you ifconfig rl0 delete otherwise the routing table may indicate
that packets should go via rl0 which is down, hence the error message.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum