burncd input output error

Andrew Sparrow spadger at spadger.best.vwh.net
Sat Sep 17 20:30:34 PDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 12:42:39PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Andreas Klemm wrote:
> [ ... ]
> > - burncd leaves cdrom in a way that CD cannot be mounted
> >   after burning, one has to open and re-close CD tray manually
> >   before one is able to mount the frshly burned CD.
>
> This is an issue with the drive firmware more than anything to do with
> software.  Most drives won't re-read the disk's table-of-contents after burning
> an image to a blank, until you eject and reload the disk.

Ho, sorry, this is simply not true. Although I don't use burncd so
can't comment on it, I've been using cdrecord since FreeBSD 2.x
(1997-8, IIRC), on a wide variety of burners - none of which have
ever required me to eject/reload the disk to mount it, unless an
operation aborted/failed.  In which case the disk burnt was generally
a coaster anyway.

Even now, using cdrecord with ATAPICAM, this is never necesary on
my current burners (NED ND6500A, Plextor PX-712A).  I simply burn
and then mount immediately.

Regards,

AS