burncd input output error

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Sep 17 06:37:12 PDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 03:03:44PM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> 2 problems with FreeBSD 5.4 stable:
>
> - burncd has strange exit status when reading ISO file from stdin
>   according to manual page possible:
>    [...]
>    gunzip -c file.iso.gz | burncd -f /dev/acd0 data - fixate
>    [...]
>
> - burncd leaves cdrom in a way that CD cannot be mounted
>   after burning, one has to open and re-close CD tray manually
>   before one is able to mount the frshly burned CD.
>
> *** trying to burn ISO file

I've run into this with one CD burner, a Plextor, IIRC.  I did some
cursory googling, other folks had the problem, no solutions posted.

I just (as you seem to be doing) work around it, as the CDs burned
without problems.

I never put much effort into solving it.  FWIW, it happened no matter
which machine had the CD burner, through 5.x and 6.x.  (I haven't put
that burner in a box running CURRENT.)

I just made a little script to open and close the cd tray (using the
older version of eject, as the newer version lacks the -t to close the
tray option) but you can do the same with cdcontrol using the eject and
close options.

Not that this helps, but just letting you know you're not alone.  :)

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Giles: I need you to take Spike for a few days.
Xander: What?
Spike: What?
Anya: What?
Spike: I'm not stayin' with him.
Giles: I have a friend who's coming to town, and I'd like us to
be alone.
Anya: Oh, you mean an orgasm friend?
Giles: Yes, that's exactly the most appalling thing you could
have said.