ENOMEM in swap_pager

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Wed Sep 14 12:21:05 PDT 2005

On a P3 server with 1GB of memory, every now and then (about twice a
month) I get a log full of errors like this:

swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 167,size 4096, error 12
swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 182,size 4096, error 12
swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 199,size 8192, error 12
swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 12456,size 20480, error 12
swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 222,size 8192, error 12

The server runs fine otherwise, and it doesn't seem to affect applications
in any way I'm able to detect. It's running latest 5.4-RELEASE, swap is
on a SCSI disk, single processor.

IIRC GEOM should handle ENOMEMs by retrying the IO, but I'm asking just in
case - are these errors something I should worry about?

--
Every sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology
    - Arthur C Anticlarke