Jail to jail network performance?

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Wed Sep 14 00:09:16 PDT 2005

On Sep 13, 2005, at 11:59 PM, Uwe Doering wrote:

> Now, for security reasons jails normally are confined in separate
> filesystems, or at least in separate parts of a common one.  So in
> case of MySQL you would have to use TCP sockets to communicate
> between jails.  This socket type typically consumes more CPU
> because of TCP's protocol overhead.  However, whether you would
> actually notice any difference in speed basically depends on how
> much excess CPU power there is available on that server.

Ignoring security (or filesystem namespace issues) I will just note
that using named sockets for local IPC is a Good Thing.  When I
worked at Messaging Direct I taught sendmail to speak LMTP over named
sockets, and our local delivery rate (to our IMAP server) went up by
a factor of 10.

It would be really cool if we could figure out a way to do AF_UNIX
between jails, but I confess to not having thought about any of the
implications ...  (Maybe netgraph can help here?)

--lyndon