Garbled VGA text console

Brent Casavant bcasavan at tdkt.org
Tue Sep 13 17:45:41 PDT 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Robert Faulds wrote:

> Swap your mouse and keyboard. It appears you have them plugged in
> backwards.

Unfortunately that's not the case.  I even humored my imagination
(i.e. maybe the chassis is mislabeled) and intentionally reversed them,
to no avail.  As stated in the first message, a mouse isn't even
necessary in order to observe this problem.

Thinking it might be an SMP problem, I disabled all but one processor
(kern.smp.maxcpus=1, kern.smp.active=0, kern.smp.disabled=1).  The
garbled console continued.

So I put that back, and thought to myself "Maybe it's picking up
the wrong video card, somewhat".  Tried hint.vga.0.at="pci", to
try to pick up the PCI VGA controller instead of the onboard one
that appears on isa0, but that also had no effect.

I'm not above looking into this myself.  Any idea whether it would
be best to start my hunt in /usr/src/dev/fb/* as opposed to
/usr/src/dev/syscons/* ?

Thanks,
Brent Casavant

--
Brent Casavant			Dance like everybody should be watching.
www.angeltread.org