Can't reboot into single mode

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Sep 11 04:12:34 PDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 11:19:22PM -0400, Didier Rwitura wrote:

>After I upgraded my FreeBSD-5.3 to FreeBSD -5.4 stable, I can't to go to
>single user mode anymore . I am getting the following error message
>
>init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv0

getty's are only exec'd in multi-user mode so something odd is happening.
More information is needed:
How did you upgrade?  Source upgrade or binary upgrade?
If it was a source upgrade, exactly what did you do?
How are you booting to single user mode?  Breaking to the loader prompt
and entering "boot -s" or entering "4" (from memory) into the boot menu?
When you boot single user, what are console messages between "Mounting
root..."  and the "can't exec getty" message?

--
Peter Jeremy