who has experience about updating freebsd from 4.11 to 5.x

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Sep 6 04:17:29 PDT 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 jl at burghcom.com wrote:

> Quoting "liguoqiang\(126\)" <liguoqiang_0121 at 126.com>:
>
> > Hi, all:
> > I update my freebsd ver 4.11 by cvsup src-all tree.
> > It's successfully as below:
> >     make buildworld
> >     make buildkernel
> >     make installkernel
> > But some errors appear when i make installworld:
> >

> It has been my experience that updating from one full version to another (3.x
> 4.x, 4.x to 5.x) is better done by doing a clean binary install of the next
> version, then import/install software and users on the new system.
> I understand that this is not always an option, but I have had less problems
> this way than cvsup across full versions.

FWIW I've had no problems following the source upgrade instructions -
they were very successful.

The only issue I came across was one of my own making: I used a second
drive to install copies of /, /usr to manage upgrades (much like
solaris' liveupdate) and wound up with a ufs2 /, which my original
bootloader (from the 3.x days) didn't grok.

Cheers,
jan

Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
and Nostradamus never dreamed of the Church of the Accellerated Worm