VIA 6420 SATA150 RAID on 5.4

Dominique Goncalves dominique.goncalves at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 07:22:32 PDT 2005

> What about if you do it 'cold'?
>
> I like to test my RAID to make sure I can still boot when one disk is
> 'dead' :)

If I remove one of the SATA disk, the bios of the SATA raid controler
complains to not have 2 disks and is marked 'broken', but I can try to
boot.

When FreeBSD boot:
ar0: 194480MB <VIA Tech V-RAID RAID1> status: BROKEN

And I can't mount the raid.

When I replace the SATA disk, the bios proposes to update the array,
to be sure of the integrity, and FreeBSD can start.

HTH.

Regards
--
There's this old saying: "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach
a man to fish, feed him for life."