HEADS UP! 6.0-RELEASE coming

Marc Olzheim marcolz at stack.nl
Mon Oct 31 08:01:54 PST 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 08:36:42AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> >Anyone having updates for my showstopper page, please, notify me...
> >
> >http://www.stack.nl/%7Emarcolz/FreeBSD/showstoppers.html
>
> The pty problem is likely a side effect of known locking problems with
> ttys and ptys in general.  This probably the weakest part of the kernel
> right now and I don't know of a good work-around for apps that use these
> extensively.  That said, there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with
> casual use; I use screen(1) quite a bit on my production 6.0-RC
> mailserver+firewall.

I know it doesn't trigger too often for most users, but still, for us,
once a week per server on 2 production servers we installed FreeBSD 5
and 6 on, is way too often. :-(

More so because these kernel panics on SMP systems tend to utterly
destroy soft-updates consistency giving fsck quite a workout and
resulting in data loss...

> Is the 'VM/VFS overruns' item still a problem?  That was likely fixed a
> couple of months ago.  If not then it's definitely something that I'll
> track for the 6.1 release.

I'll retest that one, but it wasn't fixed yet in -CURRENT of a month ago.

> The ACPI+sio problem is known.  I have a motherboard with a similar
> problem, though a different brand than yours.  I solved it by removing
> the ACPI attachment from the sio code.  The better solution is to allow
> loader hints to override ACPI hints.  I tried talking to John Baldwin
> about this but didn't get much of a response.

I've tried all suggestions so far, but to no avail on most servers. Too
many broken ACPI implementations I fear... Too bad motherboard vendors
don't take the time to push proper software in their flash.

In any case, thanks for thinking along with me. :-)

Marc