HEADS UP! 6.0-RELEASE coming

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Mon Oct 31 07:36:44 PST 2005

Marc Olzheim wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 12:05:07PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>
>> Everyone is still welcome to update their sources on the RELENG_6_0
>> branch and provide feedback for the next 48 hours or so.  The release
>> will likely be announced by the end of the weekend or early next
>> week, at the latest.
>

> Anyone having updates for my showstopper page, please, notify me...
>
> http://www.stack.nl/%7Emarcolz/FreeBSD/showstoppers.html
>
> We are still installing new servers with 4.x, because I haven't seen a
> really stable FreeBSD-stable release since... This includes current
> RELENG_6_0.
>
> Marc

The pty problem is likely a side effect of known locking problems with
ttys and ptys in general.  This probably the weakest part of the kernel
right now and I don't know of a good work-around for apps that use these
extensively.  That said, there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with
casual use; I use screen(1) quite a bit on my production 6.0-RC
mailserver+firewall.

Is the 'VM/VFS overruns' item still a problem?  That was likely fixed a
couple of months ago.  If not then it's definitely something that I'll
track for the 6.1 release.

The ACPI+sio problem is known.  I have a motherboard with a similar
problem, though a different brand than yours.  I solved it by removing
the ACPI attachment from the sio code.  The better solution is to allow
loader hints to override ACPI hints.  I tried talking to John Baldwin
about this but didn't get much of a response.

I haven't seen ktrace discussed much.  Peter Edwards is welcome to pass
his patch around some more and commit it if he wants.

GDB problems are numerous, and what we really need is for someone with
interest in it to spend some quality time on it.

Scott