HFS/HFS+ support in 5.4 Stable

edward kouye at wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 30 02:14:28 PST 2005

Hi,
I need to mount an iPod mini formatted in HFS+. I don't believe this
file system is supported in 5.4 Stable, at least not on a standard
kernel. I get :
# ls /sbin/mount_*
/sbin/mount_cd9660      /sbin/mount_msdosfs     /sbin/mount_std
/sbin/mount_devfs       /sbin/mount_nfs         /sbin/mount_udf
/sbin/mount_ext2fs      /sbin/mount_nfs4        /sbin/mount_umapfs
/sbin/mount_fdescfs     /sbin/mount_ntfs        /sbin/mount_unionfs
/sbin/mount_linprocfs   /sbin/mount_nullfs
/sbin/mount_mfs         /sbin/mount_procfs
The following page offers a HFS/HFS+ kernel module based on Darwin code.
But it seems kind of out of date (2003) :
http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/hfs/
What would be the best way of building HFS/HFS+ support into my kernel ?
Thanks all,
Edward