5.x/6.x network stability

Carl Makin carl at xena.IPAustralia.gov.au
Thu Oct 27 21:28:22 PDT 2005

John Pettitt wrote:

>Carl Makin wrote:
>

>>Morning All,
>>
>>the interface would just go dead.  Nothing in ifconfig or syslog or
>>dmesg would indicate a problem, but nothing would go in or out. The
>>only way to fix it was reboot.
>>

>What sort of network card?  I've been having the same syptoms with a sk
>driver gigabit card.

Intel Etherexpress 10/100 using the fxp driver and some other brand X
card using the rl (RealTek) driver.  Interestingly disabling ACPI seemed
to lengthen the time between failures by a day or so, but it still failed.

It's been running for a week now without a problem by setting
debug.mpsafenet="0" in loader.conf.

Are you using any oddball protocols or devices?

Carl.