make.conf for 6.0

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Oct 27 03:39:23 PDT 2005

Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy at veldy.net> wrote:
 > Hmm ... I find this thread surprising, as this is the first I have heard
 > of FreeBSD working correctly with -O2.  So, is this the options
 > suggested for make.conf on x86?
 >
 > CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing
 > COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe

In fact, those are the defaults (at least in FreeBSD 6 on
i386; amd64 uses additional options like -frename-registers),
so I would suggest to _not_ specify the options in make.conf
at all.

If you specify a "CPUTYPE" setting in /etc/make.conf, then
appropriate "-march=xxx" options will be added to CFLAGS and
COPTFLAGS automatically, so you don't have to care for that
either.

As the saying goes:  "Less is more" ...  ;-)

Best regards
   Oliver

"File names are infinite in length, where infinity is set to 255 characters."
        -- Peter Collinson, "The Unix File System"