6.0 RC1 usbd.conf (and installation comments)

Joel Hatton freebsd-stable at auscert.org.au
Tue Oct 25 17:46:46 PDT 2005

Hi,

I've just overnight upgraded from 5 stable to 6 on one of my workstations.
As I'm becoming used to expecting, this was a very smooth migration - my
perennial thanks to all of the developers who make this type of operation
almost trivial.

A couple of notes on the extremely few 'gotchas' I experienced - I should
quickly add that none of these are in any way serious:

	most files in /etc/rc.d changed, so installing them all with
	mergemaster was laborious - a note in UPDATING similar to that for
	5.x:

		"The simplest solution is an 'rm -rf /etc/rc.d/*' and then
		'mergemaster -i'."

	would have reminded me to do just that and saved about 10 minutes
	of clicking 'q', then 'i' :) I did, in this case, run mergemaster
	-i, but didn't think to do the above. On this note, I still can't
	work out how to use the edit-merge part of mergemaster properly,
	but it is certainly a pebkac issue.

	/etc/usbd.conf has lost the [Device] configuration for the mouse,
	which although doesn't prevent the mouse from working, it did mean
	that I had to add those lines again so that I could turn on '-z
	4' for the scroll wheel. If this was the wrong way to do it, let
	me know - adding this item to the moused_flags didn't work. I'm
	actually wondering if this shouldn't be the default nowadays -
	what standard usb mouse _doesn't_ have one?

	DHCP configuration - for some reason my machine didn't acquire a
	default route on boot, but rerunning the dhclient script after
	boot caused the interface to be set up again successfully. I
	haven't looked into this further yet, I'll repost if it is a
	repeatable problem.

I rebuilt all of my ports afterwards (with portupgrade -af), with no
failures, and everything so far appears to be working fine.

cheers,
-- Joel Hatton --
Security Analyst                    | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
AusCERT - Australia's national CERT | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
The University of Queensland        | WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
Qld 4072 Australia                  | Email:   auscert at auscert.org.au