DHCP DDNS updates.

Julien Gabel jpeg at thilelli.net
Tue Oct 25 12:14:17 PDT 2005

>> FreeBSD 6-STABLE has imported dhclient from OpenBSD:
>>
>> OpenBSD dhclient as of OpenBSD 3.7 has been imported. It replaces the
>> ISC DHCP client used in prior versions of FreeBSD.
>> (http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/6-STABLE/relnotes/i386/article.html)
>>
>> making /etc/dhclient.conf no longer accept this syntax:
>> send fqdn.fqdn "some.host.name.";
>> send fqdn.server-update on;
>>
>> Ironically, OpenBSD 3.8-current has reverted back to accepting this DDNS
>> related syntax a month or so ago.
>>
>> Is there a chance we get a fresher merge from OpenBSD?

If you are managing the DHCP server too, you can configure it to send
the updates, instead from the client.  My Unix clients are configured
as follow:
 interface "if0" {
   send domain-name "example.com";
   send host-name "hostname";
 }

The server has, in the conrresponding subnet :
 option fqdn.server-update true;
 option fqdn.encoded true;

Regards,
--