6.0 release date and stability

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Fri Oct 21 11:20:05 PDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:53:51 -0400
Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 11:36:35PM +0200, Ronald Klop wrote:
> > COMPAT_FREEBSD5 is meant for running FreeBSD-5 binary applications.
> > If you have them it's ok. If you recompile everything you don't
> > need the COMPAT_FREEBSD5 stuff. If you don't have the source of
> > some of your FreeBSD-5 applications you have to run with
> > COMPAT_FREEBSD5. And the switch to 6 is easier because your
> > 5-applications keep running.
>
> Yes.  As long as you only use your old 5.x applications, you're fine
> with just the compat.  The problem is when you start to link *new* 6.0
> applications with *old* 5.x libraries (e.g. by installing a new port,
> e.g. a new X application, without rebuilding your 5.x X installation
> first).
>
> Thus, unless you upgrade all your 5.x ports (well, actually "many",
> i.e. only those that provide libraries or shared object modules, but
> it's easier to just do "all") you'll end up with 6.0 binaries that are
> linked to e.g. two versions of libc at once (the 5.x libc and the 6.0
> libc), which is a recipe for disaster.

I learn much from these kind of answers. Thanks Kris.
What I don't get is how I can /get rid/ of these old 4.x / 5.x
libraries on my "new" updated 6.0 system.

I guess teh way to go is:
cvsup to the latest 6.0 source; do the well-known buildworld thing;
rebuild the kernel without compat_freebsd4/5 option (???) and rebuild
every port with portupgrade -fa

But he old libraries are still on the system than, aren't they?
Or will they not be used and if not, why?

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11-stable ++ FreeBSD 5.4