6.0 release date and stability

Ronald Klop ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org
Wed Oct 19 14:36:39 PDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:10:46 +0200, dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.st> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:52:00 -0400
> Vivek Khera <vivek at khera.org> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 16, 2005, at 7:57 AM, dick hoogendijk wrote:
>
>> > The *ONLY* question is: will I need to *recompile* all installed
>> > ports if I go from 5.4 to 6.0 release?
>>
>> No, the kernel has COMPAT_FREEBSD5 and COMPAT_FREEBSD4 by default,
>> so just keep those and your shared libs around and you're golden.
>> Of course, ports like lsof which dependon the kernel version will
>> have to be rebuilt, but that's true no matter the version change...
>
> I get contradicting advice. You tell me I'm golden 'cause of the
> compat_xx settings; others tell me it's way better to *recompile* all
> portsto get the cleanest system.
>
> Wat is the best way to get the cleanest FreeBSD-6.x system without
> installing from scratch? Recompile each port? Or use the
> COMPAT_FREEBSD5 layer?

You are answering your own question I think.
Does the term COMPAT_FREEBSD5 sound as the 'cleanest FreeBSD-6.x'? No. You
get the cleanest system by recompiling all ports. (portupgrade -fa is your
friend here.)

COMPAT_FREEBSD5 is meant for running FreeBSD-5 binary applications. If you
have them it's ok. If you recompile everything you don't need the
COMPAT_FREEBSD5 stuff. If you don't have the source of some of your
FreeBSD-5 applications you have to run with COMPAT_FREEBSD5.
And the switch to 6 is easier because your 5-applications keep running.

Ronald.

--
  Ronald Klop
  Amsterdam, The Netherlands