6.0 release date and stability

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Oct 17 12:52:03 PDT 2005

On Oct 16, 2005, at 7:57 AM, dick hoogendijk wrote:

> The news I read about fFreeBSD-6.0 is quit good lately. I might even
> upgrade my 5.4 box. I'm told it will be a rather smooth proces.

so far, I've upgraded from 5.4-RELEASE: a Dell PE1300 (pentium 3
750MHz) SCSI disks, a generic AMD Duron based system with IDE boot,
SATA data disks, a Dell PE1750 with ahc SCSI, and a Dell 2650 dual
Xeon with amr RAID to 6.0RC1 (some via 6.0 beta relaeases in
between).  All via buildworld.

It was no more painful than any other upgrade like 5.3 -> 5.4 other
than so much in /etc/periodic changed and mergemaster took a long time.

> The *ONLY* question is: will I need to *recompile* all installed ports
> if I go from 5.4 to 6.0 release?

No, the kernel has COMPAT_FREEBSD5 and COMPAT_FREEBSD4 by default, so
just keep those and your shared libs around and you're golden.  Of
course, ports like lsof which dependon the kernel version will have
to be rebuilt, but that's true no matter the version change...