Disk 100% busy

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Oct 17 08:07:47 PDT 2005

At 1:53 PM -0400 2005-10-16, Will Saxon wrote:

>  I completely forgot that I had the partition mounted 'sync'. That might
>  explain things a bit, huh.

	Perhaps.

>  I am using qmail - the author indicates that softupdates is not
>  recommended. However, I am going to give it a shot and see if I start
>  losing mail as he suggests may happen.

	Soft Updates is only guaranteed to keep your filesystem in a
consistent state, and does not guarantee that you won't lose a few
messages.  There are MTAs designed for use on filesystems that use
Soft Updates, but I don't think qmail is one of them.

	Moreover, qmail was not designed for scalability when handling
lots of back-end processes such as anti-spam/anti-virus scanning, and
I believe that it tends to perform badly in those roles.  You can
configure either postfix or sendmail to be considerably more scalable
in those kinds of situations than qmail.

	Indeed, with a little careful configuration, with sendmail you
can avoid virtually all synchronous meta-data updates as far as the
daemon itself is concerned, and when combined with milter-savvy
scanning programs, you can pretty much completely avoid them all the
way up to the point where you have to make final delivery to a user
mailbox.  That makes for a much more scalable mail system than qmail
is capable of.

	But then, I'm probably a bit biased since I gave what I believe
were the first public talks on the subject of building scalable mail
systems involving such features (see
<http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/papers/dihses/> and
<http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/papers/sistpni/>).

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755