6.0 release date and stability

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Oct 17 08:05:38 PDT 2005

Brett Glass <brett at lariat.net> wrote:
 > The release schedule for FreeBSD 6.0, on the FreeBSD Web site, doesn't show a
 > projected date for the finished product.  How close is it?

I can't speak for the RE team, but from watching the BETA
and RC progress and reports in the mailing lists ... my
guess is that 6.0-RELEASE will be out very soon.  Maybe in
only a few days.

 > We are (believe it
 > or not) still running and building production servers with 4.11,

Same here.

 > We're running our own tests on RC1, but don't have a lot of spare servers to
 > try it on. So, it's worth asking: How stable is RC1 turning out to be on
 > uniprocessor platforms?  On SMP platforms? How is network and disk performance
 > relative to 4.11? (When we tested 5.x, both network and file system
 > performance were worse than that of 4.11.)

FWIW, I'm running RELENG_6 on two machines (a notebook and
a server) for several weeks, updating every few days, and
putting some workload and various testing on them.  So far
I have not encountered any serious problems that were not
resolved.  So, stability seems to be very good; my feeling
is that 6.0 will be a _lot_ better than 5.0.  A _lot_.

About performance:  It seems to be a little slower than
RELENG_4 on my test machines (which are UP).  It's not much
slower, but noticeable.  (Yes, I know about INVARIANTS,
WITNESS and malloc.conf, those are not the cause.)

Best regards
   Oliver

PI:
int f[9814],b,c=9814,g,i;long a=1e4,d,e,h;
main(){for(;b=c,c-=14;i=printf("%04d",e+d/a),e=d%a)
while(g=--b*2)d=h*b+a*(i?f[b]:a/5),h=d/--g,f[b]=d%g;}