Network performance 6.0 with netperf

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 14 12:56:12 PDT 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Michael VInce wrote:

> I been doing some network benchmarking using netperf and just simple
> 'fetch' on a new network setup to make sure I am getting the most out of
> the router and servers, I thought I would post some results in case some
> one can help me with my problems or if others are just interested to see
> the results.

Until recently (or maybe still), netperf was compiled with -DHISTOGRAM by
our port/package, which resulted in a significant performance drop.  I
believe that the port maintainer and others have agreed to change it, but
I'm not sure if it's been committed yet, or which packages have been
rebuilt.  You may want to manually rebuild it to make sure -DHISTOGRAM
isn't set.

You may want to try setting net.isr.direct=1 and see what performance
impact that has for you.

Robert N M Watson