[RELENG_5] kernel cannot boot after 2005.09.05.12.00.00 on my laptop

NAKAJI Hiroyuki nakaji at jp.freebsd.org
Wed Oct 12 18:21:23 PDT 2005

I noticed this problem last week. I hope this report is not too late.

I have a laptop, NEC VersaPro VA20C (Pentium MMX 200MHz, not pc98), and
shareing with one of my friends. The problem was at first reported by him
"Today's GENERIC kernel cannot boot, help me."

I tried GENERIC plus DDB kernels and recognized the trouble.

The problem is simple. Recent GENERIC (plus DDB) kernels cannot boot. It
hangs up while detecting USB devices.

I tried cvsup's "date=" tag and found:

1. date=2005.09.05.12.00.00 is OK
2. date=2005.09.05.20.00.00 is NG
3. and newer kernels are NG

But I cannot find what change was imported in this 8 hours. Does someone
know?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
I did not test any kernel (GENERIC without USB). And could not find proper
key words to search from an archive...
--
NAKAJI Hiroyuki