harddrive won't mount/boot, superblock can't be fixed.

Mr. Darren darren780 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 09:39:18 PDT 2005

Mr. Darren <darren780 at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > I had a bad ide cable which I have now replaced.
on
 > bootup the filesystem produced a lot of errors and
 > lost my first superblock.  I since fsck'd and
repaired
 > the superblock at sector 32.  At no time does fsck
 > create, fix, or transfer the sector 32 superblock
 > the front of the drive.  mount won't accept the
drive
 > in the condition it's in(says no superblock, or bad
 > superblock..  different programs, different
errors).
 > If anyone knows how I could get my data off and
format
 > my /var drive, or possibly repair my damaged
 > superblock at the front of the drive with anyone of
 > the 50-some backups that exist throughout the
drive.

How about copying the fixed superblock with dd(1)?
Something like this:

dd if=/dev/ad0s1d of=/tmp/sb skip=32 count=16
dd if=/tmp/sb of=/dev/ad0s1d seek=16 count=16
fsck /dev/ad0s1d

Those commands are just off the top of my head -- I
haven't
tested it, no guarantees, you're doing it at your own
risk
and you should have a backup.

Best regards
   Oliver

Thanks, this did the trick.  The only odd thing I
could say is that newfs -N  didn't list 32 as a
superblock(fsck told me it was the one being used), I
first tried 92640 which was listed after 144.  The 32
block worked and the others didn't.. odd..  Thanks a
million =)

-Darren