new FreeBSD-webpage

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Oct 7 10:04:25 PDT 2005

Tuomo Latto <djv at mbnet.fi> wrote:
 > Greg Barniskis wrote:
 > > well, usability is not an entirely objective measure, but there are
 > > objective aspects to it. Like, not having to scroll to find crucial
 > > navigation links and the Search box, or to see what the latest
 >
 > You forget the number 1 rule:
 > Thou shalt not add to the number of clicks required.
 >
 > Scrolling is always preferable to clicking since it requires less
 > effort and has a better response time.

I'm afraid I have to disagree.  Moving the mouse pointer to
the scroll bar, clicking it and dragging it is definitely
more effort than simply clicking a link.

(And don't tell me everyone has a mouse with a scroll wheel.
That assumption would be wrong.)

 > So, here's a specific and constructive suggestion:
 > Add on a clearly visible place on the front page a link pointing
 > to the old site and keep the old site updated as well.
 > How about "Not new to FreeBSD?" under the "New to FreeBSD?"?

I would rather suggest to remove the old page as soon as
possible, before people are starting to create hyper links
to it.  The longer the old front page is available, the
bigger the problem will grow.

 > Here's another: Make all headings links.

That's a good idea.

Best regards
   Oliver

Python is executable pseudocode.  Perl is executable line noise.