new FreeBSD-webpage

Marian Hettwer MH at kernel32.de
Fri Oct 7 08:21:27 PDT 2005

Hej Dave,

Dave Fazio wrote:
> Totally agree and understand your point -- a graphical install option
> would mainly appeal to desktop users.  But let's be honest; considering
> the competition install base of  Red Hat, Mac OS X, SUN, and (ech!)
> Windows, the day of GUI deskop'd servers is here now; Purests hate it
Well, RedHat has a graphical installer, but redhat also has a tool
called kickstart for automatic installations. So they have basically both :)
Sun has something similar for Solaris, I forgot the name, though.

> sure, but it's a fact, and shouldn't be discounted altogether as an
> option for modern day server configurations.

should be IMO still non-graphical as long as you have big serverfarms
like Database and Webservers. I'm managing approx 1000 servers with some
colluegues. Unluckily it's Debian GNU/Linux systems, but at least it's
an automatic installation done via FAI (google for FAI Debian).
I'd prefer FreeBSD, though. And I know that there are some tutorials
howto do an automagic installation of FreeBSD.

> There's no point to digress more on this subject now, but FreeBSD is in
> my opinion the best of *all* general purpose OSs -- But to properly
> manage a FreeBSD (ports/packages,source builds, etc), the devil is
> definitely in the details.  Apple has smoothed our these details in
> short order -- why can't we?
I don't know about MacOS X as a server. I'm just using it on my
PowerBook for daily work :)

best regards,
Marian