5.3 -> 5.4 breaks ATA (Intel ICH2)

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Tue Oct 4 16:30:19 PDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 01:10:20PM -0400, Tim Howe wrote:
> Billy Newsom <smartweb at leadhill.net> writes:
> > Anyway, I count three systems that are normally boting with 5.3 or
> > 5.4, and then the upgrade to the latest 5-Stable breaks the boot.
>
> If I may make a small correction, I would like to point out that it's
> not 5-STABLE that breaks mine but 5.4-RELEASE.  Even booting from the
> 5.4 mini-CD can't find the drive, but booting from the 5.3 installer
> can.

I don't know if this helps, but I had some nasty tries installing
5.(3?4?)-release from scratch on some SuperMicro SATA-based systems, and
while it seemed to be choking on SATA, what I did was install in "safe
mode" from the CD-ROM, compile an SMP kernel, and reboot.  With the SMP
kernel, the systems ran fine, without, choking on SATA errors ...

-danny