Problem booting FBSD 5.4-stable..

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 20:12:54 PDT 2005

Sebastian Holmqvist sat at his 'puter and typed on 10/1/2005 20:09:

> On 1 Oct 2005, at 14:29, Subhro wrote:
>
>> Sebastian Holmqvist sat at his 'puter and typed on 10/1/2005 17:45:

>>> Running the latest BIOS version yes. Also running Fail safe options
>>> with the exception on that I've but the cdrom on first boot device.
>>> The cable setup is IDE1 <- HD0 (M) <- Cdrom (S). So yes, they're on
>>> the same cable with manual M/S-setup.
>>>
>>> // Sebastian Holmqvist
>>>

>> Great. FreeBSD, unlike Linux and Windowz is very very fusy about
>> hardware. As per the IDE specs, the master drive should always be at
>> the end of the cable. The middle is occupied by the slave drive,
>> which is not your case. For a start, I would try fixing that. Also it
>> is recommended not to mix drive types on a single bus. Therefore it
>> would be highly recommended to move the optical drive to the
>> secondary bus. Also do not rely on CS. Ecplicitly jumper them as
>> master and slave.
>>
>> Thanks
>> S.
> Alright. I've tried putting IDE <- CDrom (S) <- HD0 (M) and it didn't
> work.
> Then I tried IDE1 <- HD0 (M) and IDE2 <- CDrom (M) and that didn't
> work EITHER.
>
> This is feeling ridiculous. I'm trying the boot diskettes to test my
> luck.
>
> // Sebastian Holmqvist

Sebastian,

Don't worry, the boot diskettes wont work either. The basic problem is
some kind of conflict with some existing hardware in the box. I can see
an ABit RAID inside the box. What is it doing there and what kind of
configuration is it following? Also could you point us to some sites
describing your hardware? Could you please tell us about all the devices
which are present in your system? Include the onboard devices as well.

Thanks
S.

--
      	         |                 Subhro Sankha Kar
      \   /      |    GSM: +919831064613  --  Fax: +919831832913
       \./	 |    MSN:subhro at subhro.org  --  Yahoo: subhro82
      (0Y0)	 |    ICQ: 203567534         --  AIM: bsdboy1982