FreeBSD 6.0 on TC1000 (was: wireless, ndis problems on Compaq TC1000 Tablet running 6-STABLE)

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Nov 30 14:38:43 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 06:03 pm, Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 November 2005 21:39, John Nielsen wrote:
> > After successfully installing FreeBSD 6.0 on a Compaq TC1000 Tablet PC

> By the way, how did you install 6.0 there? I am working with TC1000 too,
> but it looks almost impossible to install FreeBSD without keyboard. Just
> would like to know possibilities - I tried 7.0 but ACPI does not work (does
> not boot even, only with ACPI disabled).

My only obstacle was getting a keyboard attached to the console - by default
it would boot up to sysinstall just fine but the keyboard wouldn't work.  (It
was detected, but not attached.. i.e. caps lock, etc would work but
sysinstall wasn't getting any input.)

Using a 6.0-BETA or RC disk (I don't remember which one), I wasn't able to get
around this.  However, using 6.0-RELEASE I was able to use the builtin
keyboard by disabling atkbd0 AND atkbdc0 in the loader.

it.

Once installed (and with sshd running as a backup), I updated to -STABLE and
built a custom kernel that does not include atkbdc, atkbd, or psm.  It works
fine. (And it's especially nice with a VESA 1024x768 mode in syscons.)

JN