Unable to set device characteristics with devd

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Nov 29 05:49:27 GMT 2005

I've been trying to use devd for a number of things, but have not gotten
far.

One issue is when I attach an ATAPI disk:
attach 100 {
        device-name "acd0";
        action "/bin/chmod 666 /dev/$device-name";
}

I have similar statements for my second hard drive (ad2s2).

By using the -D option I see the device attach, but the chmod returns
an error indicating that /dev/acd0 does not exist. I get similar results
for other devices.

Is there a delay between the attach event and the creation of the /dev
entry? Am I missing something here? Maybe I should use devfs for this.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)