Upgrading Question

Yousef Raffah yraffah at savola.com
Sat Nov 26 13:08:07 GMT 2005

Hello Everyone,

I just thought of upgrading from FreeBSD 6 BETA5 to 6-STABLE so I
followed the http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html manual
page.
I reached to a point where I had to reboot into single user mode to
continue with make installworld and mergemaster but I wasn't able to
boot into single user mode. The machine was hanging saying:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a

I tried and tried and kept on trying with no luck, I disable some
modules during kernel bootup and unset some variables but no luck!

Anyhow, one of the guys on IRC told me to build a GENERIC kernel to at
least boot so I built it but it panicked!

My only way to boot my system now is going to the loader prompt and
boot /boot/kernel.old/kernel

No here comes my question, by booting this way, can I still create a new
GENERIC kernel in order to upgrade my system? I would really appreciate
your advice