FreeBSD unstable on Dell 1750 using SMP?

Dan Charrois dan at syz.com
Thu Nov 24 23:16:03 GMT 2005

I just thought of one other bit of info that may be relevant to the
auto-rebooting problem I've experienced with our PowerEdge 2850.
Since the problem may be related to memory allocation, I thought I
should mention that we have more memory in that machine that is
typical for some users.  We have 5 Gigs installed.  From "top":

Mem: 175M Active, 4121M Inact, 244M Wired, 244M Cache, 214M Buf, 23M
Free
Swap: 10G Total, 12K Used, 10G Free

If this turns out to be an AMD64 vs. 386 issue and we were to revert
to the 386 branch, would we still be able to access this memory, or
would the 386 be limited to 4Gb (or maybe 2Gb) due to 32 bit
addressing?  We don't need anywhere near this much memory for user
space programs, but the kernel does make good use of it to cache
commonly accessed regions of the file system in memory.

Dan
--
Syzygy Research & Technology
Box 83, Legal, AB  T0G 1L0 Canada