freebsd-stable Digest, Vol 136, Issue 3

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Tue Nov 22 22:45:57 GMT 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Rutger Bevaart wrote:

> There is no doubt that a lot of people have stable FreeBSD systems on Dell
> hardware. The strange thing is though that there are also a lot of people
> having problems with 1750's and 1850's (and therefore 2850's as well, as
> they have an identical board).
>
> We have installed about 4 1750's and 8 1850/2850's in the last year and
> _all_ except 1 of them have the "automatic reboot" feature (using 4_10,
> 4_11, 5_3 and 5_4). We've had 1 lockup on the 1750 but have been unable to
> trace that to a cause, might be unrelated. Strangely, the 1750 that does
> ok is the one with the highest load (pushing several Mbits and an average
> load >2) and running 5.3-RC3.

I ran -CURRENT on a 1750 during performance tests in March -- that
eventually became 6.0. Solid as a rock.

You might look into putting RedHat or Windows on the machine and
installing the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator and checking if its
complaining about anything.  These reboots could be caused by multibit ECC
errors which would be logged to the hardware log.

You can download OMSA from Dell's site if you go to the downloads page for
the machine and select "Server Administration" as the category (I think --
they move that around).