[FreeBSD6] kinfo_size mismatch

Laurent C laurent.bar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 18:53:21 GMT 2005

2005/11/21, Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org>:

> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Laurent C wrote:
>
> >> This is almost certainly a mismatch between the kernel version and a
> >> monitoring tool that is trying to inspect kernel state (specifically,
> >> retrieve process lists). If your buildworld/installworld doesn't match
> >> your kernel version, then you need to rebuild and make sure everything
> >> is in sync. If it does, it's probably a third-party package that is out
> >> of sync and needs updating.
> >
> > Ok, I will try to buildworld and builkernel again after a fresh cvsup.
> > But for "third party packages" do you mean the "port tree", becouse I
> > though that base system and ports were completely separated and can be
> > also upgraded separately. Thanks for your reply, -- Laurent
>
> Yes -- I'd start with the base system just to confirm everything really is
> sync. If the message goes away at that point, then that is good news.
> If everything is in sync, then that pretty much leaves us with a port or
> package as being the culprit.
>
> For example, if you're running an SNMP agent package that polls system
> state once a second, that could well be the source of the message.
> What's unfortunate is that whatever program it is is not reporting which
> program it is that is generating the error, and apparently not logging it
> via syslog (I assume you checked the system logs to make sure it's not
> also being sent there -- if not, you might want to). That is definitely a
> bug, and should be fixed once we find out the culprit.

Well, after :

deleting /usr/obj
cd /usr/ports
make clean
make cleanworld
cvsup base system and ports
build and install kernel and world
and then portupgrade -f all my ports

It works now like a charm and my lovely FreeBSD is again fast and stable.

But I don't know what was the problem, and there was no trace of it on any
logfile.
So its solved !

Thanks both for your support.

See you on the list.