VIA 8237 under FreeBSD 4.11

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Nov 22 03:55:06 GMT 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:51, Sean Bruno wrote:
> I'm looking for some information on the VIA 8237 SATA controller under
> 4.11.  It does indeed work as advertised, but the Abit VA-20 Mobo I am
> using seems to be causing the two SATA disks to be detected at a speed
> of UDMA 66, not 150.
>
> Do I have to modify the settings on the driver when I compile it to get
> better speed reports, or is this nothing to worry about?

4.x doesn't really support SATA as such.
It will use them in some sort of backwards compatible way.

In general it will probably work OK until you get an SATA PHY error and then
the whole PC will lock up because the OS isn't polling the error register..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum