cvsup flags in /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 outdated?

Joel Hatton freebsd-stable at auscert.org.au
Tue Nov 22 03:34:07 GMT 2005

Hi,

I've just noticed that cvsup flags in my RELENG_6 Makefile.inc1 are still:

SUPFLAGS?=      -g -L 2 -P -

But, from man CVSUP(1):

     -P m|a|port|lo-hi|-
                 Controls the establishment of the auxiliary TCP connection(s)
                 used to carry information between the client and the server.
                 Altogether, the client and server require four unidirectional
                 channels to communicate: two from the client to the server,
                 and two from the server to the client.  These four unidirec-
                 tional channels can be set up in different ways, to support
                 various firewall setups.  The modes provided for this are
                 multiplexed mode, passive mode, and active mode.  All but
                                                                   ^^^^^^^
                 multiplexed mode are deprecated.  Multiplexed mode can handle
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                 any situation that the other modes can handle.

This means that if I don't specify any overrides in /etc/make.conf or my
supfile, running 'make update' in /usr/src will cause cvsup to try to use
passive mode and, in my firewalled environment, fail. Yep, I found this
out by accident :)

regards,
-- Joel Hatton --
Security Analyst                    | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
AusCERT - Australia's national CERT | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
The University of Queensland        | WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
Qld 4072 Australia                  | Email:   auscert at auscert.org.au