5.4-RELEASE: integer divide panic (trap 18) during install boot

dlm-fb at weaselfish.com dlm-fb at weaselfish.com
Tue Nov 22 02:37:59 GMT 2005

Hi.  I've got a system that's dying during the scsi probe of the
initial install boot.  The console messages are along the lines of:

	[...usual boot stuff...]
	vga0 <Generic ISA VGA>
	unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
	unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources (port)
	unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
	unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
	unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources (port)
	unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
	Timecounter [...]
	Timecounters [...]
	Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI
	md0 preloaded image </mfsroot> 4423680 bytes at 0xc0a34270
	da0 at bt0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
	da0: <SEAGATE ST39173LW 6246> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
	fatal trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel mode
	instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc044c343
	stack pointer		= 0x10:0xd55eb81c
	frame pointer		= 0x10:0xd55eb82c
	code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
				  dpl 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
	processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, iopl = 0
	current process		= 36 (swi3:cambio)
	trap number		= 18

This is on a 350MHz uniprocessor Tyan S1832D, with:

	512 MB ram
	2 serial ports
	1 floppy
	1 vga
	2 buslogic BT958 scsi controllers
	5 scsi seagate ST39173LW disks
	1 scsi toshiba XM-6401TA cdrom
	1 intel EtherExpress PRO100B

The system doesn't understand booting from a scsi cdrom, so I'm using
the 5.4 boot floppies.  As implied above, it probes the first disk,
but dies before it can get to any of the others.  Booting in safe mode
causes it to hang instead of throw the trap, but that's not much
better.

Searching the archives has shown various queries about this particular
board, but I couldn't find any follow-ups that addressed it
specifically.  If I could figure out how to get to the BIOS settings,
I would fiddle with ACPI (assuming it has it, it *is* capable of
holding two cpus), but the magic incantation for that is well-hidden.
The closest I've come so far is getting a menu of various things it's
willing to attempt to boot from....

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

	Dworkin